Monday, November 24, 2008

The Laughing Cow 笑牛, Den leende ko, Krówka Śmieszka



So, I had the opportunity to spend the day with my neices, nephews, in-laws and fun, fun Carli...so, we were at the store and I saw my childhood favorite...the Laughing Cow Cheese...or, as they call it in France where it was originally launched in the 20's, "La vache qui rit." My mother-in-law, Julie, always the good host, indulged me and bought a package of the versatile and portable blend of cream, milk and fresh and aged cheeses in bite-sized little silver cubes. Did you know that 125 portions of the cheese are eaten every second around the world?

Oh the joy I felt as I pulled on that all too familiar red string...memories of being a carefree child feeling so happy because my mom loved me so much that she would buy the real brand Laughing Cow cheese for my lunch (since it's pasteurized it is able to sit unrefrigerated for a limited length of time). Some of our neices and nephews did not like it,...but true to form...cute, cute, Hanky LOVED it...as I love him!!! Sad that the love you have for a child can grow based on their mutual love of a food product!

Carli and Julie (neither had ever partaken or heard of it) happily tried & enjoyed it but referred to it as, "vleveeta-like" (which in all fairness is probably a fairly accurate description of it). I couldn't help but feel a little insulted for my childhood friend, the happy red cow...velveeta is not my cup of tea, it's processed and plastic-y and cheap...but the Laughing Cow is French...somehow that adds validity to it's authenticity and quality...right? It's next to the Brie...that has to count for something...or maybe it's just a ploy to make consumers like me believe the farse that it is somehow better than kraft singles. Any cheese coniesseurs out there that want to back me up or tear me down...go ahead.

Don't judge me...I love the Laughing Cow!!

No comments: