Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (Healthy Vs. Yummy) THE ETERNAL STRUGGLE!!!



So, I’m not huge on posting recipes…particularly because I am not a recipe user…but this one happened to have come to life from a few dilemmas:
1) Eric loves junk food
2) I want him to be healthier
3) I’m not uber familiar with cooking American Cuisine

So, on a typical day I will cook one base dinner for us…and create two variations…a healthier version for me (even portions of meat and veggies, no extra toppings and smaller portions) and a less healthy version for Eric (disproportionate amounts of meat comparative to veggies, sometimes extra olive oil drizzled on top, larger servings, etc). On rare occasions, I am forced to make two entirely different meals as I am unwilling to continually let the baby eat food with absolutely no sustenance at all.

So, on one such occasion, Eric looks at his plate and then at mine and declares, “it’s funny how people have different tastes. I mean…like our dinners…yours looks SICK to me…but you like it.” ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!…who wouldn’t want fried, cheesy processed food everyday…but there’s a give and take in life…enjoy now, pay later…or pay now, enjoy later…I’m much more for the latter.
Anyway, on even rarer occasions, I can satisfy both Eric’s desire for total crap and my desire for healthiness. Last night was one such night!

He really wanted cheesy scalloped potatoes…a typical serving provides 32.5g of fat…so, I came up with this recipe and we both thought it worked well!

6-8 Potatoes (I use both brown and red)
1 Can Fiesta Nacho Soup

Combine following
¼ cup milk (I added extra milk powder for more calcium)
¼ cup Chicken broth
¼ cup chopped onions
Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Optional Turkey Bacon bits

I sliced the potatoes alternating from super thin & medium sliced and layered it with revolving layers of potatoes, cheese sauce and milk (each twice). This entire casserole was only 16 grams of fat!!! So, a HUGE helping was only 4 grams of fat!
So, if anyone cares…there you go.

No comments: