Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Glory Days

Most all of us went through an awkward phase...there were the perms, the braces, glasses, headgear, the horrible fashion mistakes, I was lucky enough to not only experience an awkward tween phase, but I also spent most of my childhood being mistaken for a little boy...I was once told by a buxom elderly woman, "little boy...this is the little GiRl'S room...you need to go next door!"
My brother's getting married in a little over a month and he sent me some of the pictures he's chosen to use
I was a cute baby...but I didn't hold a candle to my brother or Max!!

That's me, sporting the bikini so you know I'm a girl...gotta love that bowl hair cut!! Isn't my brother rocking that pool coat...he looks like a little Asian Hugh Huefner?!
Peter feeding a squirrel...still sporting the bowl cut!! We got no food, no jobs... our pet's heads are falling off!
Eric couldn't tell which 'boy' I was...I'm the littlest one, by the way.

That's me sticking my tongue out.
With family friends and my brother. Still with the bowl cut making a retard-o face...why, Peter, why include this one?!
Peter and I were having so much fun, dancing the night away with our furry slippers! I loved (and love) having a big brother who is so kind, generous and so full of virtue. He's quite the catch, anyone who meets him can tell that right away...but you might not have guessed it from this picture...I labeled this picture, "the glory days!"
...as I was telling Eric about how awful I look in these pictures, he recalled how Annie had pointed out that every picture of her he had chosen for the wedding slide show was during her painfully awkward period. Well, I am happy to embrace it now...I've noticed that the 'Ugly Duckling Syndrome' makes for the coolest adults.

5 comments:

stina said...

Chiu - My best friend in grade school was the same way - always had a "boy" haircut and hated it! With little kids, its all about the hair and clothes to clarify the gender. Blame your parents.

I like the dancing pic. CUTE!

And BTW-you are one of the coolest adults I know. Miss you!!

Annie said...

Hey! I did NOT go through an awkward phase. Just ask Eric.

Jill said...

I have to be honest...you do look like a boy in a couple of the pictures. :) But you're beautiful now!!

Phillips Family said...

Wow, your brother looks exactly like Max...crazy.

Meradith said...

haha these pics rock! So funny! ¥ou were a little cutie. I love the orange bikini, it looks like it would probably fit you now! So, I too esd mistaken for a boy growing up. I cried a lot over it. I have to thank my mom though, for starting me off with short hair early on, she knew it would suite me best in the long run even though it was painful from ages 3 to 13.