Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!!!


So, Valentine's Day has never been that high on my list of holidays...I don't like chocolate, I think flowers are a waste of money and it always seemed like it was the day for guys that you didn't really like to show up on your door step full of false hope...I'll save those stories for another post...this year I have been trying to see Valentine's Day in a more unbiased way...but it's kind of hard...did you know that in North America, Men make up more than 75% of sales? That always seemed unfair to me...it's like the whole toilet seat issue...if they have to put the toilet seat up everytime...why shouldn't I have to put it down...why should the guy have to put up AND down and the girl have to do nothing...that's setting an unequal expectation...


Well, then I got pregnant and gave birth...so, yes...Valentine's Day is O.k. in my book...in fact, let's come up with a few more holiday's like it...I'm in!


All kidding aside, though...I think I always disliked Valentine's Day because what the movies portrayed as romantic and what I think is romantic are two different things... Eric, much to most people's dismay, is quite romantic...he understands that it's very tailored to each person and circumstance. So, I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to feed Max and at the entrance to the nursery were my favorite gummy candies and a card...now, that's romantic. So, to each their own and a happy Valentine's Day to all!


Here's a little Valentine's Day history if you are interested:


Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during third century Rome. There was an Emperor at that time by the name of Claudius II. Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those that were married. With this thought in mind he outlawed marriage for young men in hopes of building a stronger military base. Supposedly, Valentine, decided this decree just wasn't fair and chose to marry young couples secretly. When Emperor Claudius II found out about Valentine's actions he had him put to death.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh that is so sweet of Eric! Good job! I always think it is the thoughtful little things like that that makes you feel loved and cared for. Happy Valentine's Day!

Meradith said...

Good post! Way to be creative eric!! It's funny because it a public speaking class I gave a speech about valentines day and gave the whole legend and all that. Thought it was interesting. Being married takes the pressure off for sure. We all remember "what the crap am I going to do this V day? Who the crap will I be hanging with??" and then singing love stinks like on the wedding singer. Is this the most random comment ever or what?