Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Giants, Phillipsville & 10,000 Buddhas 萬佛聖城,

So, after my dad left for a conference, my mom, brother and I decided to take a little road trip up north. It started out as just something to do...but it morphed into what can we do that Peter won't be able to do soon since he'll be a dad in less than 8 weeks!

My mom loves redwoods and hiking...so, we drove up to a northern California State Park called the Avenue of the Giants (Giant Redwoods). Before we got there, we drove through a little town called Garberville to get some lunch for our hike...it was my favorite part because it felt like my family was just hanging out with me in Kemmerer, Wyoming.


When we got to the Avenue of the Giants, I was tickled to see that it was in Phillipsville. I've often wanted to someday have a home with a title...like Pemberley...not that I am seeking a similar estate, only in ideology. So, Eric and I had once discussed names that would more properly suit our humble home...I had actually suggested Phillipsville and was brutally rebuffed for it's lack of je ne sais quoi...well my friends...After the afternoon of hiking we headed to a hot spring jacuzzi. Max loved that he had a little pool to himself.
For dinner we went to this little restaurant called Walter's Cafe with the most wonderful sushi selection...the "Fire Dargon" while difficult to pronounce was spectacular.
On the last day, we drove through Talmage, California (about 2 miles east of Ukiah) to visit the 10,000 Buddhas 萬佛聖城, it was amazing and very peaceful...unfortunately, Max was literally chasing the peace out of the monastery. My parents have a vase full of Peacock feathers that Max was constantly (and unsuccessfully) trying to pilfer...he was delighted to see a beautiful collection of feathers...
that poor bird was petrified of Max!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I think you should get a pet peacock. I wonder if they sell them in Kemmerer.